Not only exports, handicrafts in India are a major attraction for tourists. All Indian states have their unique native skills that result in creation of exotic crafts. The traveler comes across works of art and crafts all over his route.
Those on tours to Kerala or Rajasthan states are likely to discover and be impressed by Indian handicrafts since these are popular destinations. In popular tourists states an infrastructure has been laid down in bringing forth all elements of tourist attractions.
But as rest of India opens up to tourism, more and more states are gearing up to display and promote the local talent which produces unique works of arts. Be it jewelry, wooden statues, brass works and designer dresses. Those on travel to India must read and know about before hand the craftsmanship popular in the parts of India they are visiting. Find out where to see and buy them.
There are many Government Agencies that promote handicraft trade in the country to assist local communities. These efforts provide economic assistance and empowerment to locals especially the women.
The government has taken lot of steps forward to encourage exports and exposure on crafts from India. EPCH has been set up for this very purpose.
EPCH full form Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts under Development Commissioner of Handicrafts, Textile Ministry GOI was set up under EXIM policy in yr 1986-87. It helps create infrastructure and encourages marketing by offering information to member exporters and importers.
It Offers professional advice in areas of technology up gradation, quality and designing in improving standards and specifications, development of products and encourages creativity.
• EPCH organizes visits of members to foreign countries to explore overseas marketing potential.
• Participating in International Trade Fairs of Handicrafts & Gift.
• Organizes Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fairs.
• Acts as intermediately between exporters and Govt. at Central and State level. It represents all the committees / panels of Central.
• EPCH creates awareness through Workshops on "Export Marketing, Procedures and Documentation", Packaging, Design Developments, Buyer Seller Meets, Open House and other such programs.
• EPCH disseminates notification, orders, information on trades etc issued by GOI.
Of late tour operators offering package tour to Kerala include visit to handicraft fairs. This is also done in package tours to Rajasthan in Western India. The villages in the states which produces handicrafts are unique in nature.